Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 32:09 — 36.8MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS | More
We initially ran this episode in July 2018. But we’ve gained a lot of followers since then and tween & teen boys have not suddenly gotten better at personal hygiene in the interim. If you’re sick of fighting with your boy about hygiene, this episode is a must-listen.
Have a boy who hates to shower?
You are not alone!
When a mom recently asked the Building Boys Facebook group, “Anyone else have a teenage boy who hates to shower?” she was quickly inundated with support and sympathy.
Personal hygiene, it seems, is not a priority for most tween and teen boys.
Lots of moms said they’re dealing with the exact same issue. Others said that their boys spend a lot of time in the shower, but come out with unwashed, still-dirty hair.
Is this lack of interest in appearance and, um, smell, merely a stage that will resolve without intervention?
Or should parents and teachers take a more active role in teaching and reinforcing hygiene habits?
Turns out, the best approach is actually a combination of those two strategies.
In this episode, Jen & Janet discuss:
- WHY some boys seems oblivious to their own stench
- The essential role of 5th grade teachers in the hygiene battle
- How colored liquid soap can help boys shower effectively
- “Man soap” vs. “girly soap”
- Axe bombs (Don’t know what that is? Listen in at 12:41!)
- When — and how — to have the hygiene talk
- When boys should start using deodorant – & how to make sure your boys use it regularly (Listen carefully for Jen’s pro tips!)
- The role of role-modeling in personal hygiene
- How to get the stench out of your boys’ gym clothes and sports uniforms
- Tooth brushing (Spoiler: Instill good tooth brushing habits when you boys are young!)
- Hair care
- How to combine male bonding and hygiene rituals (not as weird as it sounds!)
- BEING NEUTRAL!
Links we mentioned (or should have) in this episode:
Boying Up: How to be Brave, Bold and Brilliant. by Mayim Bialik — A great book to leave laying around the house. Includes detailed hygiene instructions for boys.
Why Do Teenagers Smell Bad? Study Suggests They May Be Unable to Detect Own Scent — report of Danish research
ON BOYS on YouTube — watch uncut versions of our conversations
Sponsor Spotlight: Stryke Club
Skin care specifically made for boys! Created by a group of “boy moms,” including a pediatric dermatologist, Stryke Club products are simple, safe and non-drying. Use discount code ONBOYS to save 10%.
LIKE THIS EPISODE? Share it with your friends (and thanks!):
Twitter: Use this link
Facebook: Use this link
Linkedin: Use this link
STAY CONNECTED WITH JANET & JEN:
Join the Building Boys FB group and the Boys Alive! FB group
Be sure to opt-in at Boys Alive! .com for your free report “3 Simple Tips to CONNECT with Your Boy.” And opt-in at BuildingBoys.net, too!
Follow us on Instagram: @on.boys.podcast and @boys.alive
Twitter: @ParentAdvisor and @BuildingBoys
LinkedIn: use this link for Janet and use this link for Jennifer